The National:
By Thomas Harding
After US President Donald Trump said he was on the cusp of getting “very tough” with Iran unless it concedes to his demands on abandoning its nuclear programmes, the region – and the world – has been anticipating his next move.
Experts have also told The National that with both American defensive and offensive weaponry now “locked and loaded” an attack could commence imminently.
While Mr Trump insists he wants diplomacy to work – and his team were in Geneva on Tuesday for talks with Iran – his forces have been readying for military action, something he had promised last month when the Iran protests were at their peak before the regime killed more than 7,000 people.
Military analysts have detailed the nature of the air, sea and land onslaught that Iran could face with its navy and oil refineries high on the list, alongside its air defences and special forces raids against senior regime members.
With a range of defensive missiles now posted around the region to fend off any Tehran retaliation, it is now a question of will Mr Trump decide to pull the trigger.
Why the delay?
Batteries of air defence missiles and squadrons of fighter jets have flown into the Gulf region since late last month, as the Americans have stiffened defences against Iranian retaliation.
Patriot and Thaad (Terminal High Altitude Air Defence) systems have been spotted being unloaded at regional airbases.
F-15s and F-16s jets, that have proven effective against cruise missiles and Iran’s Shahed-136 drones have also been sent to airbases in Jordan and Kuwait.
There is now a squadron of Arleigh Burke guided missile destroyers in place as part of the Abraham Lincoln carrier fleet. It has the highly capable Aegis missile defence system that in two weeks will be joined by the Gerald Ford carrier strike group.
All these systems make an Iranian retaliation less threatening and was probably the reason for a delay.
Go to link
Comments