BBC:

Peter Bowes andChris Graham

Iran has said it has reached an understanding with the US on the main "guiding principles" to resolve their dispute over Tehran's nuclear programme.

Speaking after indirect talks in Geneva, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi added that work still needed to be done. The US said "progress was made".

Badr Albusaidi, foreign minister of mediator Oman, said the negotiations "concluded with good progress towards identifying common goals and relevant technical issues".

The meeting followed repeated US military threats against Iran over its deadly crackdown on anti-government protests and its nuclear activities. President Donald Trump had earlier said he believed Iran wanted to make a deal.

The US and its European allies suspect that Iran is moving towards the development of a nuclear weapon, something that Tehran has always denied.

Before Tuesday's talks at the residence of Oman's ambassador in the Swiss city, Iran stated that it would focus on its nuclear programme and the potential lifting of economic sanctions imposed by the US.

Washington has previously indicated it wanted to discuss other issues as well, such as Iran's missile development.

It was not immediately known what range of issues were discussed in Geneva but a US official told the BBC: "Progress was made, but there are still a lot of details to discuss. The Iranians said they would come back in the next two weeks with detailed proposals to address some of the open gaps in our positions."

When asked about the talks in an interview with Fox News, US Vice-President JD Vance said: "In some ways, it went well; they agreed to meet afterwards. But in other ways, it was very clear that the president has set some red lines that the Iranians are not yet willing to actually acknowledge and work through."

Go to link