Santiago - 23 September 2022
1. Various of women dancing and chanting "Las Tesis, a rapist in your way" feminist song UPSOUND (Spanish) "It wasn't my fault, or where I was or how I dressed; the rapist is you."
2. woman speaking on a megaphone and surrounded by banners in support of Mahsa Amini (22 years old Iranian woman who died under police custody)
3. Women marching down holding banner with the image of Iranian Mahsa Amini
4. Various of women demonstrating
5. SOUNDBITE (Spanish) Asíeh HekMat, Iranian citizen resident in Chile:
"Today, beloved "Mahsa" has become a word to shout out the accumulated pain of years and years and, hopefully, bring us one step closer to freedom."
6. Woman holding image of MahsaAmini reading (Spanish) "Woman, life, Freedom, #MahsaAmini"
7. Woman holds purple handkerchief icon of feminists groups
8. Woman wearing mask reading (Spanish) "Not one less"
9. Banner with image of Mahsa Amini reading (Spanish) "killed for Freedom", shouting in Iranian background
10. Iranian demonstrator speaking on megaphone
11. Drawing reading (Spanish) "No more murderers"
12. SOUNDBITE (Spanish) Karina Nohales, Spokeswoman of the feminist collective "Coordinadora 8M":
"From Chile, we are very far from Iran, but in this international struggle, we have learned to recognize ourselves and recognize ourselves as friends, sisters and comrades with all the women who are rising up in the world.
13. Banner with drawing of Mahsa Amini
14. Demonstrators are carrying banner reading (Spanish) "Woman, life, freedom."
15. Iranian flag aside of banner with images of Mahsa Amini
16. Women protesting
Feminist organizations in Chile on Friday protested over the death of a young woman in Iran who was being held by its morality police.
The crisis unfolding in Iran began as a public outpouring of anger over the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, who was arrested in Tehran last week for allegedly wearing her Islamic headscarf too loosely.
The police said she died of a heart attack and was not mistreated, but her family has cast doubt on that account.
Under the slogan that has gone viral internationally, "Woman/Life/Freedom", demonstrators in Santiago spoke out against the lack of women's rights.
"Today, beloved "Mahsa" has become a word to shout out the accumulated pain of years and years and, hopefully, bring us one step closer to freedom," said Asíeh HekMat, one of the Iranian participants of the demonstration.
The demonstration ended in front of the presidential palace.
AP video shot by Alexandre Plaza